Monday, April 16, 2007

Event Driven Architecture

In my last blogentry I wrote about SOA as just one architectural approach. So I restudied older approaches I have been using and looked into new ones. Event Driven Architecture, based on the business events that trigger the business to work, is a new one. I once bought David Luckham's The Power of Events, as an introduction to Complex Event Processing.

Reading on the internet I found Jack van Hoof's blog about the relation between SOA and EDA. He sees SOA as manifested in the earlier in this blog defined strongly coupled information systems. SOA as based on command and control style, the 'slower' world of core business services.

And he sees the EDA as the fire and forget style, the mashup style of very loosely coupled services, the 'faster world'. Events form the linking pins between core business services.

This way, it seems my original SOA consists of two patterns, which you have to combine by making the right design decisions/trade offs.

No comments: